Skip to main content

The Dentist


Today was Sweet Boy's first visit to the dentist, a pediatric dentist who was recommended by my hairdresser. (I know...first mistake.)

Sweet Boy loved it. Nonstop Nick Jr. playing in the waiting room, fancy chair to ride in, grape-flavored toothpaste, sunglasses to keep the bright light out of his eyes, prize for being a good boy, a new toothbrush with dinosaurs on it, and his photo on the "no cavities" wall -- what's not to love?

Mommy, on the other hand, did not love it. We had to wait over 30 minutes just to get into the exam room, which of course sent me right into my snappy-huffy place. The hygienist was good about explaining everything to Sweet Boy before she did it, though, so she gained a couple points back.

But I have met DMV clerks with more personality than this dentist. When he entered the room, he didn't even say hello or introduce himself to either of us. Then he proceeded to chastise my child for not sitting still while he picked at his teeth with that curved pointy tool (btw, the Boy was very well-behaved and really only flinched when he got jabbed in the cheek with said pointy tool). "Who brushes this child's teeth?" he asked. "Must be a two-person job; he's so unruly." Get bent, Doc...he's three, this is his first dental exam, and you just stabbed his gums with metal!

He then told me my son's jaw is crowded, and he would most likely need braces someday. Gee, big surprise -- I discovered upon walking into this doc's office that he's not only a pediatric dentist but also an orthodondist. Braces are his life blood, so of course my child's jaw is crowded.

The highlight of the 2-minute exam, however, came when he informed me that my son's frenum (that little piece of tissue underneath your tongue) is "restricted." Here's the convo:
Doc: Hmm, he's a big restricted under here.
Me: Oh?
Doc: Does he have any speech problems?
Me: Not that I've noticed...
Doc: Hmph.
Me: What does that mean?
Doc: silence...


And then he just left the room. WTF? So I'm sitting there wondering what the hell it means to be restricted, so I asked the hygienist once more. She said sometimes if a child has a restricted frenum, he might have trouble pronouncing certain sounds, but 9 times out of 10 it's not a big deal because he can learn to pronounce them with practice. (A little bit of internet research this afternoon confirmed this, too.)

Would that have been so difficult for Dr. Dickwad to tell me?

His "hmph" sounded like he didn't believe me that my son doesn't have any speech problems. Just like he didn't believe me that I brush Sweet Boy's teeth by myself without strapping him into some sort of restraining device.

Regardless of my perceptions of the exam and the dentist, Sweet Boy was so happy with the whole experience that he asked me at bedtime if we could go back to the dentist tomorrow. Not likely, darling, not likely.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can give you our people, too. They aren't specifically a ped. dentist, but they have toys in the waiting room, and the wait is reasonable. The dentists and hygienists are all very nice. The only one I don't like, is the lady at the front desk. She's less than pleasant, but I just try and ignore her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ottomania!

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about ottomans. A ridiculous amount of time, actually, given the number of other things I truly should focus my thoughts on. I find, though, that when the world outside gets scary (and scary is a truly relative term these days) I turn to online shopping for things I don't really need. Actually, it's more like online browsing; I rarely purchase. I spend hours searching for, oh, erasable colored gel pens or standing desks or all-natural curly-hair gel or the perfect black sweater. (Yes, these are things I've fixated on over this winter; I still haven't clicked "buy" nor settled on any of them.) This week, it's ottomans. By the way, my girl  BrenĂ©  Brown would call this behavior numbing . I'm okay with that. Because online browsing is way less detrimental (so far) than chain smoking, which is what I'd really like to do when the world is scary. It's a way to escape, to daydream, to focus on things tha...

Why I Occupy

I marched in the Occupy Philly protest last Saturday, and I've been trying to find the words to describe it all week. People who know me look puzzled when I tell them, and I've been trying to explain why this movement has taken root in my heart. Last Saturday, for a few brief hours, I stood up to the anxiety, anger, frustration, and fear that has gripped me for the last few years. For a few brief hours, I marched with people who want better for me and you and this entire country, people who may be ideologically different but stand together because they believe there’s still hope for this democracy, that there’s still a chance that our government will take action for the people and not for the corporations that fund their campaigns. There’s a perception that the Occupy Wall Street movement is simply a mob of young, disenfranchised 20-somethings who have nothing better to do than sleep on city sidewalks to disrupt the lives of those of us with jobs. Revolutions are ...

Grace happens

Today Honey's roommate in room 364 at Maine Medical Center was discharged. Some other day I'll tell you about why Honey is in the hospital again, but this story is about the roommate because it's way more interesting. Let's call him Elton, because all I really know about him is he plays guitar in an Elton John tribute band and he's originally from the very northern part of England, bordering Scotland. (Or as Honey described it, "that place in England where the Roman Empire decided, nope, those Celts are crazy, and put up a wall.") Elton was in room 364 before Honey arrived, and what struck me immediately, besides his delightful accent and soothing Liam-Neeson-esque voice, was his gentle, good-natured manner. He was going through heck from a botched surgery and compartment syndrome - pain and gore and fear of losing the use of his dominant hand - yet he spoke kindly and softly to every person who came into his room. Every time a nurse walked in, Elton gre...