Skip to main content

Counting down to baby

I realized the other day that most of my writings over the last few months have focused on the negative. Gross! I suppose writing is my outlet, the place I barf up all the things that weigh me down. But I don't want to be Negative Nelly or Debbie Downer anymore. So let's talk about something really fantastic and amazing and wonderful and happy that's about to happen in my life:

BABY! BABY! BABY!

In just over two weeks, I'll be checking into the hospital for my second c-section. While I'm not thrilled about the idea of another surgical delivery (ouch!) and recovery (long, extended ouch!) I have started to feel giddy at the thought of holding a small, warm, cuddly little person in my arms. After discussing an alternative pain medication with my doc, I'm even starting to look forward to a few days in the hospital. Crazy? Maybe...but when was the last time you had a few days to just lie in bed with complete control over the TV remote and let people bring you food and pain medicine? And for the first day or so, I won't even have to get out of bed to pee! Don't even get me started on that oxygen tube in my nose -- my absolutely favorite part of my first hospital experience delivering Sweet Boy.

We made a final trip to Target this weekend to stock up on supplies -- diapers, wipes, booties, hats, breastfeeding stuff, baby shampoo -- yet I have a lot more to do to get ready both at work and home. I grabbed a breastfeeding book at the library to refresh my memory. We're still trying to decide between disposable diapers and all-in-one cloth dipes; we still have to launder the car seat and swing covers, get the car seat in the car, organize the nursery closet, and get a few things out of the attic. My head is reeling from all the to-dos I was hit with at work today. I feel a bit like I'm cramming for a final exam.

But as I lay in bed during nightly snuggle time with Sweet Boy tonight, I tried to remember back to those early days with him. That was so long ago, and he's so far from being an infant these days. He's so excited for baby, and I can't wait to share this magic with him. In addition, when Sweet Boy was an infant, Chris was working such long hours that he really wasn't present for the day-to-day baby stuff -- and when he got home each day, he was so tired from a 12-hour day and an hour commute that he still wasn't truly present for it. This time around, he will be. I can't wait to share it with him, too.

I'm excited. And happy. And blessed.

Comments

  1. Don't complain about your other posts. Although you may think them negative, they allow some of us to realize that we (mothers) are all going through some of the same things. Just today I was thinking about how I barely remember my boys as babies. It made me sad. It goes so fast. I'm so excited you're going to have a new bundle of joy in only a few weeks! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ottomania!

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about ottomans. A ridiculous amount of time, actually, given the number of other things I truly should focus my thoughts on. I find, though, that when the world outside gets scary (and scary is a truly relative term these days) I turn to online shopping for things I don't really need. Actually, it's more like online browsing; I rarely purchase. I spend hours searching for, oh, erasable colored gel pens or standing desks or all-natural curly-hair gel or the perfect black sweater. (Yes, these are things I've fixated on over this winter; I still haven't clicked "buy" nor settled on any of them.) This week, it's ottomans. By the way, my girl  BrenĂ©  Brown would call this behavior numbing . I'm okay with that. Because online browsing is way less detrimental (so far) than chain smoking, which is what I'd really like to do when the world is scary. It's a way to escape, to daydream, to focus on things tha

Lost between books

This is kinda what the inside of my brain looks like right now...a big see of books that don't interest me. I'm in a restless state between novels right now, and it's really uncomfortable. You know that feeling when you finish a really good one and don't know what to do next? I needed a couple days to process the book I finished last week ( Everything I Never Told You , by Celeste Ng), but then suddenly found myself without a Next Book. It doesn't happen often (I usually have 4-5 books going at once, all different genres and types), but every now and again I get stuck in this drift. Nothing really interests me enough to invest money and time in. So. Weird. I've spent way too much time over the weekend downloading samples to my Kindle, reading reviews on Goodreads, and perusing the library reading lists. Me without a book is like a guitarist without her guitar or a soccer player without a field to run on. I just feel a bit lost, even irritable. I'm just