Skip to main content

Riding the relocation roller coaster


I wrote this email to my "7 for 7" group at church. We have been reading a book titled 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess (Jen Hatmaker, 2013) and examining how we can be more conscientious about our own life excesses, both personally and as a church group. Reading this book has coincided with my own yearning to change my setting and habits -- and has helped tremendously as we ready our family for our relocation to Maine:


So, just as I pulled into the driveway Tuesday evening, after our fun little apple cider party, I received a text message from the owner of the condo we were planning on renting in Gorham, Maine: "We've received an offer on our house. Really have to consider it." Mind you, we had already signed the lease, set the date with our movers for November 3, and enrolled our kids in Gorham schools. I almost threw up.

Long story shorter, they did decide to sell the house...pretty much right out from under us.

But you know what happened? I didn't panic. Well, I panicked a little. But I prayed. And I ate chocolate for breakfast. And then I called on all my friends in Portland to help...and they did! I found two potential homes for rent in Portland, and my boss went out in a raging nor'easter to look at them on my behalf. Even one of the landlords we talked to last week was on the phone looking for apartments in the area! And also the mortgage broker we'd dealt with back when we thought we were going to buy -- even she was on the phone looking for rentals for the Bachman family.

In the end, we found a small 3 BR duplex house for rent right in the Back Cove neighborhood of Portland. It's 2 miles from my office -- so I can walk, ride my bike, or take the bus -- and across the street from a new elementary school. It's also two blocks from the bay (so my walk to work will be along the water!) and surrounded by parks, shops, restaurants, and coffee shops. Three of my coworkers live nearby. Heat is included in the rent, as is snow plowing and landscaping.

I've only seen the place in photos, but I've had good conversations with the landlord -- who is an actual professional landlord with three other properties in the area -- and she is very happy to have a family in the house. I am just going to have faith that it's a place we can be comfortable in for a year or two.

We're still set to move the week of November 3. I will try to catch up with each of you next weekend in church (I have to travel for work this weekend). Thank you for all your well-wishing and prayers.

BTW, we are just about down to the bones here on possessions! We cleaned out our guest room last night and gave the bed, bedding, lamps, pictures, and towels to my sister for her new home. She also took one of the sets of china that had belonged to our grandmother; I'm going to keep a few pieces from the other great-grandmother's china and donate the rest to the church bazaar. My sister also took one of our mother's framed needlework pictures home with her, and I'm going to give the other piece to my brother so we all have one piece of the three-piece set. (It's a set that hung in our dining room as kids, and has been here since we moved in.) So we're even digging into the nostalgic pieces. And we're going to plan the family photo album extravaganza for Thanksgiving week.

This exercise of paring down so tremendously has been really good for my entire family because it forces us to think about what "things" we really are attached to and why. I honestly feel as if this entire relocation process is all just a continuation of that pull to simplify that started tugging at me last winter. God is working here. I'm grateful for the experience, even the hard stuff. Especially for the hard stuff. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ottomania!

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about ottomans. A ridiculous amount of time, actually, given the number of other things I truly should focus my thoughts on. I find, though, that when the world outside gets scary (and scary is a truly relative term these days) I turn to online shopping for things I don't really need. Actually, it's more like online browsing; I rarely purchase. I spend hours searching for, oh, erasable colored gel pens or standing desks or all-natural curly-hair gel or the perfect black sweater. (Yes, these are things I've fixated on over this winter; I still haven't clicked "buy" nor settled on any of them.) This week, it's ottomans. By the way, my girl  BrenĂ©  Brown would call this behavior numbing . I'm okay with that. Because online browsing is way less detrimental (so far) than chain smoking, which is what I'd really like to do when the world is scary. It's a way to escape, to daydream, to focus on things tha

Lost between books

This is kinda what the inside of my brain looks like right now...a big see of books that don't interest me. I'm in a restless state between novels right now, and it's really uncomfortable. You know that feeling when you finish a really good one and don't know what to do next? I needed a couple days to process the book I finished last week ( Everything I Never Told You , by Celeste Ng), but then suddenly found myself without a Next Book. It doesn't happen often (I usually have 4-5 books going at once, all different genres and types), but every now and again I get stuck in this drift. Nothing really interests me enough to invest money and time in. So. Weird. I've spent way too much time over the weekend downloading samples to my Kindle, reading reviews on Goodreads, and perusing the library reading lists. Me without a book is like a guitarist without her guitar or a soccer player without a field to run on. I just feel a bit lost, even irritable. I'm just

If the brain-mouth filter turned off...

"Mommy," he asks, reaching for my hand as we walk out of the grocery store, "wouldn't it be cool if we had some kind of a hat that when you put it on your head, you start to speak all of your thoughts?" His eyes are wide, hair fringing the blue. He's letting it grow until spring (exactly 21 days away, as he explained this morning) and he looks shaggy and wild. Like one of Peter Pan's lost boys in sweatpants and a Star Wars t-shirt. We've just ordered a cake for his birthday party - celebrating 8 years at a trampoline park this weekend. "Can you imagine it?" he asks, "if everyone could hear your thoughts all the time? Ha!" I love ideas like this. They pop out of his mouth in unexpected moments, little gems that generally begin with what if? or wanna know something? I hope his mind always asks those questions. But wow...can you imagine it? A hat that turns off that brain-to-mouth filter? What would he hear from me, right in thi