Skip to main content

It takes a village...or a circle

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: My job rocks. The work is interesting, the people are friendly and intelligent, the flexibile schedule is amazing. Today I was reminded once more why I'm so fortunate.

Because I work from home on Tuesdays, I can now attend the Elizabeth Circle meetings at my church. For those of you who aren't familiar with Presbyterian Women's Circles (as I was until this morning), Circles are intended for groups of women of similar interests, lifestyles, age, etc. to get together once a month to talk, work for the community, pray, support one another. I have always been a tentative joiner of all things churchy -- it took us almost 5 years just to join this church, even though I attended fairly regularly -- and now that I'm a deacon, I'm counting the days until that particular service is over. So, I was skeptical about getting involved in the Elizabeth Circle: Are they going to be asking me to devote time every week to one cause or another? Will I have to donate money to some mission or another each time? Is this going to be all about Bible study?

However, in about 3 minutes this morning, all my skepticism melted away. I felt as accepted and cared for and supported by a group of people as I have ever felt in my life. No exaggeration. I have met these women before, but didn't really know them until this morning, yet after just an hour and a half with them, I realized that this is what I've been missing.

It's always been hard for me to make new friends; I wait for people to come to me, I tend to feel awkward starting conversations and finding connections. I don't have many true friends like Amy S., Marcia, and Amy B. who know me well an understand my heart and head. I do have a lot of acquaintances in our home area now -- neighbors, coworkers, people in my book group -- all people I like to chat with and drink wine with and laugh with -- but not anyone I've really felt I could count on in a tight spot, or someone I could call for parenting advice, or someone I could trust with "hey, this particular thing is really bothering me lately, and I don't know how to pray about it" knowing that she would not only pray with me, but would hold my hand or hug me because she knows that's what I need most. I've been looking for that kind of a connection with other women, and I thought I'd found it earlier this spring and summer...but that hasn't worked out so well.

Not that I feel I'm instantly BFF with this group; they've known each other for 10-20+ years and I know it will take time for me to feel totally part of the group. That said, it's hard for me to describe the feeling of belonging that I felt this morning.

Throughout the last couple years, as I've moved into this crazy adventure called parenting, I've learned that the old adage "it takes a village to raise a child" is definitely true. But it also may be true that it takes a village to raise a woman, and today I'm feeling hopeful and grateful that perhaps I've found my village. My circle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ottomania!

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about ottomans. A ridiculous amount of time, actually, given the number of other things I truly should focus my thoughts on. I find, though, that when the world outside gets scary (and scary is a truly relative term these days) I turn to online shopping for things I don't really need. Actually, it's more like online browsing; I rarely purchase. I spend hours searching for, oh, erasable colored gel pens or standing desks or all-natural curly-hair gel or the perfect black sweater. (Yes, these are things I've fixated on over this winter; I still haven't clicked "buy" nor settled on any of them.) This week, it's ottomans. By the way, my girl  BrenĂ©  Brown would call this behavior numbing . I'm okay with that. Because online browsing is way less detrimental (so far) than chain smoking, which is what I'd really like to do when the world is scary. It's a way to escape, to daydream, to focus on things tha

Lost between books

This is kinda what the inside of my brain looks like right now...a big see of books that don't interest me. I'm in a restless state between novels right now, and it's really uncomfortable. You know that feeling when you finish a really good one and don't know what to do next? I needed a couple days to process the book I finished last week ( Everything I Never Told You , by Celeste Ng), but then suddenly found myself without a Next Book. It doesn't happen often (I usually have 4-5 books going at once, all different genres and types), but every now and again I get stuck in this drift. Nothing really interests me enough to invest money and time in. So. Weird. I've spent way too much time over the weekend downloading samples to my Kindle, reading reviews on Goodreads, and perusing the library reading lists. Me without a book is like a guitarist without her guitar or a soccer player without a field to run on. I just feel a bit lost, even irritable. I'm just

If the brain-mouth filter turned off...

"Mommy," he asks, reaching for my hand as we walk out of the grocery store, "wouldn't it be cool if we had some kind of a hat that when you put it on your head, you start to speak all of your thoughts?" His eyes are wide, hair fringing the blue. He's letting it grow until spring (exactly 21 days away, as he explained this morning) and he looks shaggy and wild. Like one of Peter Pan's lost boys in sweatpants and a Star Wars t-shirt. We've just ordered a cake for his birthday party - celebrating 8 years at a trampoline park this weekend. "Can you imagine it?" he asks, "if everyone could hear your thoughts all the time? Ha!" I love ideas like this. They pop out of his mouth in unexpected moments, little gems that generally begin with what if? or wanna know something? I hope his mind always asks those questions. But wow...can you imagine it? A hat that turns off that brain-to-mouth filter? What would he hear from me, right in thi